Saturday, March 13, 2010

What The Left Thinks of You




If you only knew better...


"Farmer reading his farm paper" By George W. Ackerman, Coryell County, Texas, September 1931

In an unfortunately typical take on middle America by one of the few lefties I follow, Green Eagle wants you to know that they pity your lacking existence in some no-name town. Take heart, them folks in the big cities do stop to feel sorry for you blue collar folks! Here is a sample of the raw emotion that the left feels for the poor folk, like you:
Now, think of the people, living in a place like Holcomb, having TV and movies every day showing them what kind of life is lived in New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston, constantly reminding them of the endless diversions in places like these, and rubbing their noses in the emptiness of their existence. And remember, that by and large all of these people have lived their lives just the way they were told to, working hard and trying to raise decent families. Imagine the desperation that these people must feel as they tell themselves that their church socials and high school basketball games are a decent substitute for all of the wonders that the world has to offer, and which they will never experience. Now think of them getting angrier and angrier as the years go by, as their lives go nowhere, and as they are taunted by the constant reminders of how much life has given to others. And yet, they are unable to put the pieces together and come to an understanding of how this happened to them.

These are the prey of the Republican party, of the Evangelical charlatans, of the conservatives. These are the people who are so desperate to comprehend their misery, the emptiness of their lives, that they will accept the lying, corrupt baiting of the Republicans as a rational explanation. It would never occur to Democrats to increase these people's misery by further exploiting them; it is the stuff of life to Republicans.
Be sure to read the entire post. They try hard, but fall so short in understanding middle America. You could only be foolish yokels, manipulated into supporting a political party. You have no idea what real happiness is!

Sure, you can be entertained by things like living only an hour away from the mountains and the beach. Then again, maybe you're one of those who gets joy from seeing the smile in you're neighbor's newborn baby's eyes. Maybe you're one of those who can go to a place and point to something that you helped build with your hands, a business that makes America the greatest nation on the earth. Maybe the feel of rich soil on your hands, and sweat on your brow brings you happiness. Or maybe you're one of those who gives your time away helping those who cannot help themselves, understanding that true happiness comes from selflessness.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong and true happiness comes from eating at a Chinese restaurant where Brad Pitt might stop by...

Please take the time to comment! Click the Comment Link adjacent to the Post Title.

6 People Have Had Their Say:

Andy on March 14, 2010 at 7:22 AM said...

Well said, CL! They really don't have a clue...seriously...not ONE CLUE!

Serr8d on March 16, 2010 at 8:23 AM said...

A life full of soul and having deep meaning, spent outside of and far from the teeming overpopulation centers, is preferable I think to the so-often soulless and desperate existences of those trapped in concrete and steel. I envy those who lived in simpler times; I see the New Peoples who are swimming in currents with a hectic and near-frantic pace, those always seeking a new and exciting stimulus, as walking zombies who've missed the real purpose of their lives.

That's just my two-cents worth of observations.

classicaliberal on March 17, 2010 at 1:01 AM said...

Thanks for your comments, Serr8d. One of the things I notice in dealing with lefties is how quick they are to point out the err of judging someone else. And yet, that's exactly what the author of the post was doing. They were judging our lifestyles and passing judgment on our intelligence. I often joke on this blog that lefties for the most part are functionally handicapped, but it's most often in jest.

I feel that they are often misinformed on topics, and/or more inclined to feel certain ways about certain political issues. Most lefties are intelligent people who interpret facts differently than I do. You have to be careful when using hyperbole and making sweeping statements regarding lifestyles and intelligence/education levels. There are always exceptions to the rule, and in this case 95% of the people which the author of the lefty blog was referring to, are the exception to the rule that they assert.

Green Eagle on March 17, 2010 at 3:51 PM said...

Thanks for linking to my post. Of all the things I have written (over 2,000 posts in the last year and a half) this was the one that I had to think about the most before writing it. Of course, that might be because about 1900 of those posts consist of nothing but cheap pot shots and ridicule, but then, what can you expect from a talking parrot?

Anyway, I have to say that, on that airplane trip (to see my mother in Ohio- the last time I saw her alive) it really pained me to look at the bleak world beneath me, and think of the pain that must be the lot of many people there who, largely through no fault of their own, live what seems to me to be really impoverished existences.

I write a lot of posts out of real partisanship but this was not one of them, and I did not mean to mock these people.

You know it is considered perfectly acceptable for people who buy into the age-old myth of the corruption of cities and the purity of rural areas to cast urban dwellers in the most ugly light. In my perusal of right wing blogs I see stuff like this every day. I believe what I had to say was far more mild than the ugly "brie eating latte sipping liberal pinko rootless cosmopolitan" stuff I regularly encounter, and I do not believe I am out of line.

I think that the presence of this movement in our country today really does pose a tremendous threat to all of us, and that it is the height of malice to encourage it. I am going to continue to try to understand it, and I am not going to shy away from what I think I have learned.

classicaliberal on March 17, 2010 at 9:17 PM said...

Green,

Thanks for the comment. That's as measured a response as I've ever received from a lefty, and it's appreciated.

I know that you know this, but impoverished existences do not necessarily mean empty or desperate existences. Sure there is pain, but I'm sure that pain can be found on your block and in your neighborhood as well.

I agree that both sides are guilty of casting dispersions upon their political foes living situations.

And as far as your last statement, I completely agree, as it pertains to liberalism/'progressivism.' The movement to fundamentally change the greatest, most free and wealthiest society in the history of human existence poses a tremendous threat to all of us, and it's the height of malice to encourage it.

Please continue to visit, and continue to comment as your comments are valued here!

Green Eagle on March 17, 2010 at 10:10 PM said...

"That's as measured a response as I've ever received from a lefty..."

That's because your comment on my post was measured, and deserved an honest reply.

In the words of that great Republican, Arnold Schwarzenegger, "I'll be back."

 

I Am Classicaliberal And You Should, Too!. Copyright 2009-2010 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com Background Image Courtesy bama287