Friday, September 4, 2009

Completely Out of Character




This blog post is going to be completely out of character from what you are used to reading here. Truth is, everyone needs a break from politics, even me. Don't ask me why, but it occurred to me today that there are a few words which some people use during the course of conversation that just make my skin crawl. Can't tell you why, but it happens. You ever experience anything like that?
  • Pop/Soda Pop
  • Morsel
  • Supper (Yes, I know that's what proper southern folk call dinner, but for a California boy, it's just weird, ok?)
  • Cake of Soap
  • Succulent
Anyway, I want to know what words or phrases 'weird you out' or sound funny to you. Let me know below.

Please take the time to comment!

4 People Have Had Their Say:

Andy on September 4, 2009 at 8:37 AM said...

CL, Southern boy here!

"Pop," and "Soda Pop" make me cringe. The first time I ever heard that was from some chick from Wisconsin, or some other foreign country. Growing up, it was always a "coke." Didn't matter if it was a Dr. Pepper, or RC, or 7-Up...we was "going to get us a coke."

"Supper." Growing up, we ate breakfast, lunch & "dinner, or supper." I was taught that "dinner" was a meal you eat early in the evening...like before 6 pm. And "supper" is a meal that you eat late in the evening...like a "late supper" after you catch a movie...8 or 9 pm-ish.

And one must be gay to say the words "morsel, or succulent." And I don't guess I've ever heard of a "cake of soap." But it sounds like one would suck.

ChristinaJade on September 4, 2009 at 7:38 PM said...

Last time I heard "cake of soap" was from my Great-Grandmother. She had just whooped up a batch of lye soap and had me help her "cake it up."

And yes, Andy, caking up lye soap DOES suck.

Andy on September 4, 2009 at 8:44 PM said...

Dang Christina! My Great Grandmothers (and I knew two of them very well...I was up in my 30's before they died) just bought bars of Ivory soap...I never heard anything about "caking up" soap from either one.

You must be from the country...

ChristinaJade on September 4, 2009 at 10:00 PM said...

Cayce, Kentucky, the land of my Sundays and summers! ;)

 

I Am Classicaliberal And You Should, Too!. Copyright 2009-2010 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com Background Image Courtesy bama287