Thursday, March 18, 2010

What's In A Name?




What is in a name, anyway? How bad would your name have to be in order for you to petition a court to have it changed? How about this bad?

Be sure to check them all out over at The Smoking Gun.

Please take the time to comment! Click the Comment Link adjacent to the Post Title.

6 People Have Had Their Say:

innominatus on March 18, 2010 at 3:45 PM said...

Wow, that guy's name is sofa king horrible.

classicaliberal on March 18, 2010 at 4:39 PM said...

Yeah, I always keep a spare name, you know Justin Case.

Andy on March 18, 2010 at 5:45 PM said...

Well, at least ol' Fuk chose a good name to switch off to.

Andy...short for Andrew, which means "manly." Dang right!

I kid you not, I have a customer in Hong Kong named Fuk Dim. That's the name on the credit card he uses to pay for purchases. But, he goes by a Western name for business purposes.

classicaliberal on March 18, 2010 at 6:18 PM said...

At one point, I worked for a company that was owned in part by GE. The 'Help Desk' was in India. Through my efforts in seeking help with computer issues, I had opportunity to speak with John Wayne and Maverick amongst others. Never, however, with someone named Fuk King Kwak.

Andy on March 18, 2010 at 6:24 PM said...

CL, that's funny. I know what you mean. I have a lot of customers in Hong Kong, and Singapore. And, several Chinese/Canadians. They all have a Western handle.

Short story. My Great Uncle Earl Newland was working his way through college back in the late 40's after his Naval service in WWII as an appliance salesman for Sears.

He had his business cards made up with the name "Roy Rogers," and he told everyone he waited on that his name was "Roy Rogers." The store manager asked him why. Uncle Earl said, "Hell, I'm working on commission. When a customer comes back to buy, I want to make sure they ask for me. "Earl Newland" is easy to forget...but everybody can remember "Roy Rogers."

classicaliberal on March 18, 2010 at 6:30 PM said...

You're Great Uncle was a smart guy! I'll bet he was a pretty successful guy when it came to moving appliances. I may have to consider that, should I ever decide to get into sales again. Not Roy Rogers, per se. No, something more modern like Al Franken, or Tom Cruise. You know, somebody with a good name.

 

I Am Classicaliberal And You Should, Too!. Copyright 2009-2010 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com Background Image Courtesy bama287